- 1 What this is about
- 2 Drinking water
- 3 Water that was used for etching PCBs
- 4 Analysis
What this is about
This page is a collection of ideas & resources for DIY water analysis and treatment.
- Wikipedia: Drinking water – Definitions, statistics, links
- Competence center for drinking water at Eawag – Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology
How do we know if it’s safe to drink? – Analysis
Does it look clear or muddy, coloured?
- look for particles (minerals, microplastic?) -> microscope?
- photometric -> green laser?
Does it contain “bad bugs”?
- simple bacterial testing (see card 7, “bad bugs”) http://www.waterscope.org
Does it contain harmful chemicals?
- lead, iron, copper
- chlorine and other water treatment chemicals
- pesticides and other agricultural chemicals
- salt -> conductivity
How can we make it safe to drink? – Treatment
- sterilise -> uv light, sunlight SODIS Solar Water Disinfection with PET bottles
What would a "minimal" water analysis and treatment kit look like to make drinking water from any water found?
The SGMK waterlab (/wetlab /aqualab?)
Water that was used for etching PCBs
How do we know if it’s safe to dispose of? – Analysis
How can we treat it so it's safe to dispose of? – Treatment
- iron sponge
Photometry is a common method in chemical analytics. The intensity the color of a dye is measured visually or by an technical equipment. These dye can be produced by chemical reaction of the analyte with a specific reagent. The amount of analyte in the solution is proportional to the intensity of the color.
10 ml volumetric flask add - 9ml water - spatula zinc powder - 2 drops acetic acid 100% shake well add N=2 reagenz
add Nitrate standard shake well nitrate is reduced to nitrite and reacts to red color
PAN solution 4x10-3 mol L-1
1 - (2-Pyridrylazo)- 2-naphthol
CuSO4 1g/l = 0.254 g/l Cu
In 10 ml Kolben geben
Solution with copper 1ml 4x10-3 mol L-1 PAN 0.1 – 2.0-mL of 0.2 mol L-1 sulfuric acid Fill uo to 10ml with Deion water
H2SO4 25%= 250g/l = 2.5 mol/l
add to 10ml volumetric flask
10 ml solution with copper (0.2 - 10 mg/l Cu) 1 T H2SO4 25% 0.1 ml PAN (5mg/10ml in Ethanol)